Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Trader Joe's Chocolate Hummus


This is some weird-ass shit.

I have no idea what the intended use here is. At first, I thought that it could be used like regular hummus, and that the "chocolate" was maybe a modest infusion of unsweetened cocoa that didn't overpower the hummus but complemented it in some unexpectedly delightful way.

Nope. Dip a corn chip or tortilla chip into that stuff, pop it in your mouth, and you'll immediately know that you've made a mistake.

The texture is like canned cake frosting--stiff. It's not that sweet, though it's sweet enough that it falls squarely in the "dessert" category. The only thing I could think of to do with it was to use it as a fruit dip. So I bought some strawberries, and dipped them in the hummus. This actually worked. The combination was not bad.

A one-pound container of berries got me through about 2/3 of the hummus. I threw the rest away, because, though it was tolerable, I didn't enjoy the combination enough to get more strawberries and do it again, and I couldn't think of a single other way I might want to use the stuff.


Will I buy it again? 

No.

2 comments:

  1. I dip animal cookies in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to dip TJ's pretzel thins in it. I like the sweet/salty combo.

    ReplyDelete