Friday, December 6, 2019

Trader Joe's Dark Russet Kettle-Cooked Potato Chips


This is now the fourth variety of kettle-cooked potato chips in the Trader Joe's lineup. See here for reviews of the other three.

I liked these a lot. The appearance is a bit weird at first, because, well, everyone knows that potato chips are supposed to be yellowish-white, and these are as brown as can be. But get past that (or eat them with your eyes closed, if you must), and they taste great. Excellent crunch. Neither too thick nor too thin, neither too dry nor too oily. Salted just right. They're pure, in the sense that the bag lists just three ingredients: potatoes, peanut oil, and salt. What else do you need?

My main complaint was that the bag I bought had way too many small, broken chips, and not enough large ones. They taste just as good, but they're not as satisfying to eat, and they're no good for scooping up hummus, which is how I was using them last night.

Of TJ's "Organic Potato Chips Kettle Style," I wrote, "I think they're the best potato chips TJ's sells, and among the very best I've ever had from any manufacturer." With that, I put them on my Top Ten list. I stand by my assessment. I think these russets are not quite that good--but they're only a notch behind.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes. They deserve a place in the regular chip rotation.

1 comment:

  1. Why is there a "cancer and reproductive Harm" warning on the bag? It shows only 3 ingredients: potatoes peanut oil, and salt. They tasted pretty good, but will never replace the sea salt chips in the brown bag.

    ReplyDelete