Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Trader Joe's Mashed Cauliflower


I lost the picture I took of this, so the one above is stolen from Trader Joe's introduction to the product, here. This accident conveys the additional advantage that you can see the form the stuff takes--those frozen pellets in the background. That should make it easy to dispense and prepare a consistent amount when you don't want the whole bag at once.

But for me, that convenience is about all this item has going for it. Sure, it's cauliflower, and tastes as cauliflower should. But I eat plenty of cauliflower as it is; I don't need more in my diet. And sure, it has fewer carbohydrates than an equivalent amount of mashed potatoes, but I don't feel any need to avoid carbs by such substitutions. Worse, it came out watery and soupy, despite my having followed the cooking directions. And vegans, take note: This is not for you, as it is made with milk and cream.


Will I buy it again? 

No. This is just not a thing I need in my life. I'll continue to eat my broccoli/cauliflower mix in native form several times a week. And on the occasions that I want mashed potatoes, I'll have mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment