Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Trader Joe's Pitted Amarena Cherries With Stems In Syrup



I had never heard of Amarena cherries before spotting this jar at Trader Joe's. I bought it anyway. They're cherries; they can't be bad.

And they're not. But the way they're presented here, you can't just sit down and eat a bowlful. (After all, life isn't just a bowl of cherries.) The syrup here is heavily sugared, turning the cherries into something akin to Maraschino cherries--preserved, essentially. They work as a garnish, but in no other way.


Will I buy it again? 

No. I just don't have any use for this kind of thing.

3 comments:

  1. Pound cake, ice cream, whipped cream. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dislike cherries with some passion, but my grandmother always had a jar around for cocktails- she used a little of syrup to sweeten it and the cherry at the bottom became a boozy fruit snack.
    Or use cheapo champagne and add a splash of the syrup for festive pink bubbly.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. A more accurate name would be "Pitted Amarena Cherries In Cough Syrup." Even after rinsing the cherries taste like NyQuil. I love Trader Joe's Tart Montmorency Cherries so I had great hope for these. Too sweet, too medicinal, too bad.

    ReplyDelete