Monday, May 13, 2019

Swell Mint Chip Ice Cream


I found this at Trader Joe's just a day or two after having read this Consumer Reports article on the recent proliferation of allegedly more healthful ice creams, with lower fat, lower sugar, and/or higher protein. Swell's offerings were not among the 13 they rated, however.

I didn't much care for this. It had a pervasive off-note that I think must have been from the added whey protein. Why would you ruin perfectly good ice cream that way? The whole concept of eating ice cream for protein content is just dopey--especially if it compromises the primary purpose of eating ice cream, which is for sheer enjoyment.


Will I buy it again? 

No.

1 comment:

  1. I really just don’t understand this entire genre of fake ice cream with weird ingredients and added fiber and sugar alcohols and protein powders. I also suspect a lot of people following these bizarre high protein diets will have some serious health issues down the road. I keep frozen mango chunks from TJs on hand and eat some of those semi frozen when i want a cold treat and don’t want the calories of my favorite nondairy ice cream. The frozen mango is super creamy and sweet!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete