Friday, May 31, 2019

Trader Joe's Egg Frittata With Swiss Cheese & Cauliflower


From the font of all knowledge: "Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche or scrambled eggs, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses or vegetables. The word frittata is Italian and roughly translates to 'fried.'"

Last night while eating these, I commented to Nina, "It's like a little quiche with no crust." So I guess I had it about right.

The package suggests heating by either microwave or oven. I used a toaster oven, which worked great. They ended up having a nice texture, which I fear might be compromised with the microwave. The box says 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Based on long experience with TJ's frozen foods, I gave them 20 minutes, and they turned out perfect.

After egg, the dominant flavor is the onions and chives. You know how I feel about that. I had to mentally search to detect Swiss cheesiness. The cauliflower seems to contribute mostly some textural firmness, with the flavor totally MIA.


Will I buy it again? 

No. I ate my two, and didn't much object to them, but I couldn't find any love. Nina admired the nice texture, but said she wasn't wowed by the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment