Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Trader Joe's Corn and Chile Tomato-Less Salsa


I passed this by in the store many times because of the prominence of "onion" on the label. I hate onions. But it turns out that that's not its biggest problem.

The instant the first scoop of this salsa hit my tongue, I registered the sensation of "sweet" before anything else. They do give you fair warning of this, I guess: "A sweet combination..." is right there on the front of the jar. And if you turn it around to look at the back, sugar is the second ingredient, after corn.

This is deeply wrong. Salsa has no business being this sickeningly sweetened. Corn is naturally sweet; leave it at that.


Will I buy it again? 

No. Nina and I together ate down to the level you see in the photo above (and most of that was her). The next night, I took it out of the refrigerator to have more as my evening snack, and I just couldn't bear the thought of eating it again. It has zero appeal to me. The rest is going back to the store for a refund.

No comments:

Post a Comment