Thursday, June 1, 2017

Trader Joe's Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Brownie Mix



My experience with Trader Joe's gluten-free products has been a decidedly mixed bag. Some have been perfectly normal products that you wouldn't know or care are gluten-free--like this. Some have been a little less desirable than the regular products for which they substitute, but would be only a modest compromise if one needed to avoid gluten--like this. And some have been just awful, completely inedible--like this.

So I had no way to predict where this brownie mix would fall on that spectrum. Trader Joe's, predictably, touts the resultant brownies as "Thick and rich, a little chewy, and wonderfully chocoately [sic]." Are they?

Yes, they really are. They have an admirable texture, marred only by being a little granular. I've now eaten enough products made from rice flour that I recognized its flavor, even before checking the list of ingredients to confirm my suspicion that that was the main constituent--but that was only a minor detraction. I think they're a little sweeter than I consider ideal, but, again, that's a small demerit.

All in all, I would deem these a perfectly acceptable substitute for a regular brownie mix. I'd even call them surprisingly good.


Will I buy it again? 

No. I won't be buying this mix again because I think several regular products are better. But if I needed a gluten-free diet, I would be ever so grateful to have this option available. It's possible that this is as good as a gluten-free brownie mix can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment