Monday, September 9, 2019

Trader Joe's Fudgy Chocolate Quinoa Loaf & Cake Mix


This sat in my pantry for several months before I got around to turning it from a mix into a cake. Among other reasons, I had to buy a loaf pan first.

The directions call for 3/4 cup of oil and four eggs, which is hugely more than other mixes I've used before.

I used the maximum baking time recommended, and it still wasn't enough; the center of the cake had an almost liquid core. It needed probably another ten minutes.

The cake made from this mix is quite a bit denser than what I'm used to from other mixes. Maybe this is because of using quinoa instead of wheat flour? It's extremely moist, richly chocolaty.


Will I buy it again? 

No. I make cake probably only once or twice a year, and I prefer other mixes from the big-name national brands.

1 comment:

  1. The more eggs, the heavier (denser) the cake. You may want to get an oven thermometer because of the "soupy" core of your baked cake. Perhaps it is your oven that runs a bit off temperature -- yet, maybe not. Either way, it's worth checking though.

    ReplyDelete