Friday, February 3, 2017

Trader Joe's English Coastal Cheddar



Trader Joe's carries a bewildering assortment of cheddar cheeses. I first became interested in trying this particular one a few months ago when it was highlighted in this article about TJ's best cheeses:

I kissed a lot of cheddar frogs to get to English Coastal Cheddar, which shows lovely spring onion and rosemary tones. Like all TJ cheddars, it has a sweet foundation, but the allium and herbal flavors add a satisfying complexity.

Well, I don't have a sufficiently discerning palate to find all those components. But I was certainly able to tell that it's an unusual cheddar. It seemed to me simultaneously both sharper and more buttery than most. I also kept noticing a quality that I couldn't put a label on, but the description here of "herbal" seems about right.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes, occasionally, though it's not going to displace my favorite go-to TJ's cheeses.

2 comments:

  1. I love cheese, but hate buying a lot of different kinds because I end up hating a lot of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the report on the cheese I have recently discovered I have a new hobby and this is taste testing cheeses from all around the world and post it on Facebook thanks to Google Lens I get a full reported of the cheese and the company that made it. I attache that link and post it as well.
    Trader Joe's English Coastal cheddar is second on the list

    ReplyDelete