Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Trader Joe's White Leicester Handmade Hard Cheese




This is currently Trader Joe's "spotlight" cheese of the month, so it will likely be available for a very limited time.

That's a shame. I'd like to see it become a permanent addition to the lineup. It's among my favorites. It's not labeled "cheddar," probably for some technical reason that I don't understand, but it sure tastes like cheddar to me--and a very, very good one.

I love the Mull of Kintyre Scottish Cheddar Cheese. It, too, was a spotlight cheese, available only briefly from TJ's. Fortunately, however, I've recently found it under its own label at another local store. So I tried this Leicester cheese side by side with the Kintyre. The former is not quite as sweet and creamy as the latter, but it comes closer than most white cheddars.

If this became regularly available from TJ's, it would be one of my most frequent cheese purchases--a staple that I would return to again and again. I think it's not quite Top Ten List material. Sadly, however, all of my very favorite TJ's cheddars that made that list are no longer available, so almost-as-good will have to be good enough.


Will I buy it again? 

I'm already on my second block of it.

4 comments:

  1. This cheese appeared about two weeks ago at my local TJ's - I tasted a free sample, instantly fell in love, and bought a block. When that was gone (just a few days later), I returned to TJ's only to find that 1. the cheese was nowhere to be found, and 2. it was not one they were able to reorder! I've been obsessively checking back ever since: please, TJ's, if you see this post, make White Leicester a permanent part of your collection--it's like a crunchy, tangy cheddar, I can't stop thinking about it, and I would honestly buy it ALL THE TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the White Liecester! Wish Trader Joe's could get more. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can trader Joe's get English wensledale cheese? It is a beautiful cheese.thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. White Leicester is very rare in Britain, the similar Red Leicester is quite popular. It's quite closely related to Cheddar in the production process but it is a distinct cheese in its own right. I've seen it for sale under the White Fox brand but have yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete