Friday, March 1, 2019

Trader Joe's Gochujang Chop Salad Kit


You can easily see what you're getting by the prominent list of ingredients on the front of the bag.

The three things that make this somewhat unusual are the puffed brown rice bits (crunchy, like Rice Krispies), the sesame seeds, and the "Gochujang vinaigrette."

About the first two: They come in separate pouches. I dumped them into my big salad bowl with the main ingredients. This was a mistake. They're so small that they all plummet right to the bottom and stay there. The more you try to toss the salad, the more they tumble down to the bottom. If you were to add the salad dressing to the entire mixture, that would probably add enough stickiness to solve this problem, but then that creates problems of its own. I think the best solution is to keep those two ingredients in their separate pouches and add them to individual servings at the table.

About the dressing: It's soy sauce. OK, maybe it's technically not actually entirely soy sauce, but that was sure my general impression from tasting it. It's pretty potent.

I did finish off this bag, using the included dressing--but I can't say I enjoyed it much.


Will I buy it again? 

No. I will stick to my routine: One bag of either butter lettuce and radicchio or just plain butter lettuce, plus one bag of either Power to the Greens or  Herb Salad Mix (I wish I could still get the Spicy Spinach Blend or the Lemony Greens Blend or the Heirloom Red Spinach for this portion of the salad formula, but they all made brief appearances on TJ's shelves, then disappeared), plus half of a bag of shredded carrots

1 comment:

  1. This one didn’t appeal to me, I’m not a fan of gochujang.... but your own greens mix sounds fabulous! I would totally buy that.
    My default is the cruciferous crunch massaged and then some chopped romaine or iceburg with lots of cilantro
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete