Monday, October 28, 2019

Trader Joe's Apple Cider Donuts


I'm torn about these.

On the one hand, they're surprisingly good cake donuts, given that they're packaged and shipped to stores, rather than sold fresh where they were just made. They have a nice amount of cinnamon-sugar coating. They are the best store-bought cake donuts I've ever encountered.

But on the other hand, there's precious little "apple cider" about them. I ate all six of these, and with every one of them I was consciously trying to detect the flavor of apple cider, or even of just apple--and completely failed. Not a hint of it anywhere, as far as I could tell.

So they're pretty good at being something they're not supposed to be (cinnamon donuts), and a complete failure at being what they're supposed to be.


Will I buy it again? 

No. I'm fortunate to have many better donut choices. And I always prefer raised over cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment