Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Trader Joe's Baby Cauliflower


To start with, I think--but do not know--that this is simply ordinary cauliflower harvested earlier than usual. Nina thinks it's a different cultivar. She might be right; after all, Trader Joe's sells "baby broccoli" that is actually broccolini. But I can't find anything online that says that "baby cauliflower" is something biologically different from cauliflower.

All that aside, I wasn't impressed with this. The stem:head ratio is way too high. I ended up throwing away about half of the weight of the package because I didn't want to eat so much of the thick stems, and cut them short.

What was left was nothing special. It didn't strike me as especially desirable in either texture or flavor. In fact, if anything, it had less flavor than my usual cauliflower. I tried it with butter, then again with lemon juice, and both times I felt that I was tasting the condiment far more than the vegetable.


Will I buy it again? 

No.

No comments:

Post a Comment