Friday, October 4, 2019

Trader Joe's Organic Spicy Taco Sauce


I have been making lots and lots of tacos since I discovered how much I like Trader Joe's Taco Seasoning Mix. I was skeptical that a taco sauce would improve on what I thought was the perfect formulation.

I was wrong. It makes my tacos even better.

The prescribed amount of taco seasoning mix is 1/2 packet per pound of ground beef. (I use Gardein's Beefless Ground.) For my first experiment, I used only half of that, in order to make the tacos deliberately bland. As such, the taco sauce definitely spiced things up. No surprise.

But then I tried it on the regular-strength filling--and to my surprise, even that was improved. I've come to agree with Nina's observation that it's primarily the acidic tang--presumably because of a heaping helping of vinegar--that hits the spot.

I have not yet tried it on a turbocharged batch, using the full packet of seasoning mix, but that will be the next challenge.

Incidental links: Trader Joe's introduction to the product is here. And here is a taste test trying to confirm or refute a Reddit rumor that the TJ's sauce is just repackaged Taco Bell taco sauce. They conclude that it is not, though I, too, noticed the similarity. It's probably just because both are so heavily vinegar-based.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes. It has earned a permanent spot on the condiment shelf in my refrigerator door.


Addendum 

I wrote this post about 3 hours ago, and just now learned that I wrote and posted it on NATIONAL TACO DAY!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2019/10/03/free-tacos-and-deals-national-taco-day-national-vodka-day-friday/3838299002/

No comments:

Post a Comment