Friday, November 22, 2019

Trader Joe's Cauliflower Tot Casserole


Tater tots--except made from riced cauliflower instead of taters, so lower carb numbers--with a white sauce and gooey cheese. What's not to love? Very comfort-foody.

Because I had time while other things were cooking, I did the oven method instead of microwave. As seems to always be the case with TJ's frozen-to-oven products, it required about 10 minutes more than the package directs. Due to that, I didn't apply the optional additional 2-3 minutes of broiler time to get the promised "golden brown top," but I will next time because it definitely would have been better that way.

Nitpicking: The tots at the edges, where the cheese and sauce didn't quite reach, maintained their integrity. But most of the rest couldn't stand up to the cheese and sauce and became sort of an indistinguishable mash. It didn't affect the taste at all, but it would have been more texturally satisfying if they had enough crispiness to remain distinct tots.

Claimed serving size of 3 is about right. Nina and I had it as a side dish to some chili last night, and about 1/3 of it was left for my lunch today.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes. It's already on my Thanksgiving dinner shopping list.

No comments:

Post a Comment