Monday, November 4, 2019

Trader Joe's Lemongrass Chicken Stix


I was torn about buying these, because it really doesn't make sense for me to keep reviewing chicken products when my conclusion is always going to be that I won't buy them again because I almost never buy chicken products. Maybe I'll stop after this.

Anyway, I heated these in the oven, not with the alternative "deep fry" method. Based on long, unhappy experience with TJ's freezer-to-oven products, I left them in for 15 minutes instead of the recommended 10-12, and was probably correct to do so. They came out just right. The wrapping was crispy but not burned, and the inside was hot all the way through.

I liked the texture. The flavor, not so much. It was very hard to taste anything except lemongrass, cabbage, and green onion. I assume there was some chicken in there somewhere, but if I had been tasting these blindfolded, I would have guessed they were vegetarian.

The portion size seems to assume they're just being used as an appetizer. It says serving size is two rolls, with five servings in the box. (But I was given nine rolls, not ten. Highway robbery!) And I ate five rolls for one lunch, along with a side of fresh veggies and a salad. Plan accordingly.

I threw away the remaining four. I just didn't care for them at all.


Will I buy it again? 

No. And I wouldn't even if chicken were still one of my staple dietary items.

No comments:

Post a Comment