Monday, September 14, 2015

Trader Joe's Basmati Rice From India



Nina bought this and cooked some up as part of a dinner at her house. It was excellent--as good as any white rice I've ever had.

It comes in a strange bag, though. The resealable opening is not at the top, as on every other resealable plastic bag I've ever seen. Instead, it's about a third of the way down. This makes it stupidly awkward to pour out of. I cannot imagine why anybody thought this was a good idea.

Will I buy it again? 

Sure--but I'll probably empty it into a plain resealable food-storage bag as soon as it has been opened, to avoid wrestling with the idiotic bag design.


Nina's View

I have now cooked this basmati rice numerous times with excellent results. My excellent friend from India has pronounced her approval of this rice as being of very high quality. That's good enough for me.

4 comments:

  1. You have never written anything truer than this: "It comes in a strange bag, though. The resealable opening is not at the top, as on every other resealable plastic bag I've ever seen. Instead, it's about a third of the way down. This makes it stupidly awkward to pour out of. I cannot imagine why anybody thought this was a good idea." I can imagine why a dunderhead might have thought this was a good idea -- but is everyone above that dunderhead at TJ's a dunderhead, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the red and the dotted black line, looks like you're supposed to cut off that spare 1/3 of bag. Which would address the pouring problem, but doesn't explain why it's designed that way. No guesses there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this rice but yeah, easily the worst packaging ever award- it's so completly dysfunctional!! I'm no rice expert but it retains a nice texture and is very flavorful for a basic rice.
    I have this rice, the harvest grain blend, and quinoa in the cupboard at all times- in my large mason jars.
    Ttrockwood
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. As all the other commenters said, I agree, STUPID PACKAGING award on the rice. But TJ's has the cheapest rice around. It is such great tasting rice and at a much better price than anywhere else. I dump the bag out into an old Minute Rice tin container we inherited. :)

    ReplyDelete