Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Trader Joe's Organic Marinara Sauce


This is my new favorite TJ's spaghetti sauce. Nina and I had it last night on some TJ's Pennette pasta. She asked me what I liked about it, and I found myself completely unable to articulate anything specific. (She teased me as if I were a two-year-old: "Use your words!")

But then she made an offhand comment that, strangely, I think was the key to why I like it: it's acidic. I had noticed the acidity, but didn't attach that mental label to it until she mentioned it. And that, in turn, triggered a long-forgotten sensory memory of a particular preparation of stewed tomatoes that I used to like eating in a restaurant that I worked at in high school, which were also high in acidity. Maybe for normal people that trait is considered a detriment in a tomato-based food, but I find myself liking it.

Anyway, my first impression is that this is excellent and I want more of it. My next challenge will be to try it side-by-side with Prego, which has been my favorite for, oh, 30 years or so.


Will I buy it again? 

It's already on the list for my next TJ's run.


Nina's View

Color me baffled.

Bob generally likes sweet things. His favorite tomato sauces, whether for pasta or pizza, have all so far been on the sweet side. And yet he is all fond and nostalgic over this sauce which is not only not sweet, it's practically sour. And flat tasting. And über bland.

Don't get it. Does not compute.

As you can probably tell reading between the lines, I did not care for this sauce at all. I think it's pretty awful. I am at a loss to understand why Bob likes this, even a little bit. However.…

However!

I am *fascinated* by this development, as it reveals something unexpected and therefore interesting about my beloved's taste. If he likes THIS, what other hitherto unexplored taste profiles might appeal to him? How can I winkle out the essence of its appeal and apply it to other, actually tasty foodstuffs? I must investigate!

No comments:

Post a Comment