Friday, November 10, 2017

Trader Joe's Chile Spiced Mango


This is a seriously strange product. It's soft, fairly thin-sliced mango coated in what is basically a mixture of paprika, sugar, and powdered chiles.

Judging by reactions I've seen posted on Twitter, a lot of people fall in love with it instantly. That wasn't me. My first impression was that it was too hot, and the flavors didn't blend well. But as I ate more, it definitely grew on me, and by the end of the bag (spread out over five or six sittings), I was really digging it. It's hot enough that I don't want to eat more than about four pieces at a time, but that's plenty for a nice little snack, jam-packed with flavor and interestingness.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes. I think this is a winner--strange but good.



2 comments:

  1. LOVE this stuff. I often dice it up into salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a mexican lady with a cart near my office who sells fresh mango sliced and you can get Tajin (chili salt seasoning), straight up chili powder, and lime juice for like $1 for a sandwich baggie and toothpick to eat it with. I get a tiny sprinkle of Tajin and lime and it's amazing, i'm a regular customer!
    You could get TJs frozen mango, and the chili lime seasoning (aka TJs version of tajin) and adjust the spice yourself.
    That intense red on this dried version scares me, i can't deal with that much chili!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete