Thursday, November 30, 2017

Trader Joe's Super Sweet Fresh Corn



This appears to be a new product at Trader Joe's. I mean, corn on the cob is not exactly a new product, but this particular packaging is.

And I don't get what the point of it is. What's wrong with selling individual ears of corn in nothing but the convenient, natural packages of their husks? It appears that TJ's has either people or machines cut off the ends to a uniform length, partially (but not fully) remove the husks, and wrap them in plastic on a plastic tray. This just seems bizarre, unnecessary, and wasteful.

I might forgive it if the corn inside were special in some way. It's not. It was neither "super sweet" nor especially "fresh." Of course, it was "fresh" if that word is understood merely to mean "not canned or frozen"--but not if it is understood to mean "picked very recently."


Will I buy it again? 

No.

2 comments:

  1. I saw these- sooo bizarre because, ummm , it's corn season almost nowhere right now..! And it's only actually good corn fresh when it's picked and sold ASAP- not picked who knows where (mexico?) then processed and packaged and then shipped to TJs.
    Frozen is usually better tasting for out of season corn since it's processed and frozen straight from the field. (My grandma made the Best Corn Ever- chunk of butter in saucepan, add defrosted corn and don't stir until bottoms get blistered brown, add generous salt and pepper, let blister/brown on all sides. Done. Amazing. )
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a single female who has no children and I live alone and I’m someone who absolutely loves corn. As bizarre as this product may seem to others and I’ve read in other reviews. I’ve found that this product is delicious and efficient and perfect for one person who doesn’t want have boil one or two ears of corn for herself. Let me tell you when they say it’s sweet corn. It’s honestly the best corn I’ve ever ate it my entire life and it’s microwavable quick an easy. It could be a little less expensive I paid 6 dollars but I guess we pay for the convenience. I am not one who wants to have to cook an entire meal because then you have to eat it all before it spoils because I live alone. I LOVE Love LOvE this product thank you Trader Joe’s.

    ReplyDelete