Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Trader Joe's Mountain Goblin Semisoft Cheese From Switzerland




I have no idea what "Mountain Goblin" cheese is, and the first couple of pages of a Google search did not enlighten me at all.

This is another occasion where I regret lacking the vocabulary to describe something adequately. It's quite different from any other cheese I have in my memory banks. Sort of nutty, unusually earthy, maybe a little goaty (it might actually be goat cheese, for all I know), with a distant edge of bitterness, which is surprisingly agreeable in this context.

I definitely liked it (ate the whole block in two sittings), but it's so different that I have a hard time placing it on a spectrum of preference compared to other cheeses.


Will I buy it again? 

Well, I suspect that this is one of TJ's many one-time-only specialty cheeses, so I may not have another opportunity. But yes, I would. I don't think it would ever become a staple, but it would be nice for a change from the routine. And it would make a fine addition to a cheese sampler plate, as something that I suspect most people will never have experienced before.


No comments:

Post a Comment