Monday, July 23, 2018

Trader Joe's Tomme De Savoie Raw Milk French Alpine Cheese




I had never heard of this variety of cheese before, but it was the featured "spotlight" cheese this week, so I found the smallest block I could (because it's expensive and it might be awful) and brought it home.

It was not awful. In fact, I liked it a lot. Soft and rich. As happens so often with new-to-me cheeses, I'm at a loss for how to describe the flavor, but it's quite different from anything I remember having before. Here's Wikipedia on it.


Will I buy it again? 

Yep. Next TJ's run I'm going to grab a bigger chunk. Get it while you can; it won't last long.

2 comments:

  1. Tommes de Savoie cheese is great. You stopped stocking it in 2011, NOW it is available for this (July 2018) month only according to display. What was left on the 25th was picked over and damaged. Store personnel said that they would "not be getting any more". Gosh, this is great cheese, you quit stocking it in 7 years ago and now only stock it for 3 weeks - I hope that management will re-explore options to make this fine cheese always available. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh oui mon fromage favorie d'une savoyarde et pas pasteurizee en plus. Genial mais short life in store. I think they have an issue keeping a long shelf like in their refrigerator depending on travel and arrival, some are DOA...But I want to thank them for really trying to give it to us because with it we can make tartiflette dish and great for europeans kids "snack 4hrs" to varie as oppose to the Pain au chocolat... and for parties, well awsome. Personally I do as my Grany and Mom, cust square piece in my soup, delicious.
    A bientot

    ReplyDelete