Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Trader Joe's 5 Cheese Frusta



These are basically strangely shaped individual cheese pizzas. I bought two (one for Nina, one for me) mainly because I was curious why anyone would make and sell pizzas that were folded into this odd shape. I still don't get it.

The obvious downside is that if you want to add your own toppings, as I did, the fold reduces the available surface area. I had a fake ground beef to increase the protein content of the meal, and it was difficult to stuff it onto the small amount of open cheese.

I didn't mind the taste overall, though the tomato sauce was unusually sweet. But I just couldn't get past the peculiar shape. Oh, and the shape also adversely affected the cooking: where the crust is doubled, it didn't bake all the way through, and was still cold in spots, despite having followed the heating directions to the letter.

Will I buy it again? 

No. Pizzas are supposed to be flat, dammit.


Nina's View

I am only writing this because I want to say how frusta-rating this product was. The premise seemed good, but I'd like to know who the heck in Italy hand-made this and why he or she was persuaded that it was worth eating the frustas of their labor.

It is not good. Overly sweet. Soggy crust, uninspired topping. No no no. Back to Italia with you, misbegotten frusta!

No comments:

Post a Comment