Friday, June 5, 2015

Trader Joe's Chicken Pot Pie Ravioli



Two or three weeks ago I noticed the announcement of Chicken Pot Pie Ravioli in the What's New section of the Trader Joe's web site. It sounded like the sort of thing I would have to try as soon as possible, because a wacky mashup food idea like this could either be crazy good or an utter failure, and I wanted to know which.

I looked for them on several trips to the store--nothing. But finally they showed up yesterday. I bought a package and cooked it for my lunch today.

The answer?

Crazy good!

The insides really do taste like the filling of a good chicken pot pie--rich, creamy, loaded with the flavor of chicken broth. Though there are onions reportedly present, I'm happy to report that even my super-onion-suspicious tongue was unable to detect them.

There's not a lot of chicken meat, but I consider that an advantage, because these days my guilt level rises proportionate to the amount of meat or poultry content of food. Eating a package of these, I'd guess, was responsible for the demise of maybe one-tenth of a chicken. I can live with that (even if the chicken can't).

To get the most accurate read on the taste, I added a little butter, but nothing else. I'm not really sure how they would taste with a traditional pasta sauce added, as the label suggests. "Pot pie" and "marinara" are not easy flavor memories for my brain to meld together, absent actual experience. Maybe I'll try it next time.

Quibbles:
  • Two of the raviolis popped open while boiling, spilling some of their contents, and I think others would have if I weren't extra-gentle in stirring them. TJ's food engineers need to make them seal better. 
  • The serving and package sizes are all wrong. The package contained 12 pieces, and claimed that this was two servings. I ate the whole package for my lunch, along with a salad. Admittedly, it was about two more than I would have considered ideal, but I wasn't going to either throw away the last two or store them for another day. Either reduce the package size a bit and call it single-serving, or put about 20 in and keep the serving size at two. 

Will I buy it again? 

Enthusiastically.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I am cooking them tonight and wasn't sure what to use as a sauce, I think butter might be the best option (or maybe browned butter?). I agree, I always have to buy two packs for my husband and I, no matter what ravioli I get from TJ's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Browned butter was my thought as well, but I'm thinking crisping some fresh coarsely chopped sage while the butter browns.

      Delete
  2. Well, what did you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they exploded it means you cooked them on too high of heat- all ravioli's need to be added when the water is boiling and then reduce the heat right away til they are tender and cooked through.

    ReplyDelete