Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Trader Joe's Crispy Crunchy Mango Chips



This is kind of a freaky snack. How do you make mango slices "crispy and crunchy"? Are they deep-fried? Freeze-dried? I DON'T KNOW! But Trader Joe's does indeed make them crispy and crunchy--more than you probably imagine that they could. The things look like crisp French fries, but they're much, much crunchier.

I actually liked them a lot. They are not sweetened; the only ingredients are mango and palm oil. The latter is what makes me suspect that they are fried at some point in the process. About 1/3 of the calories are from fat, the rest from the natural fruit sugars.

Oddly, TJ's has decided that this whole bag constitutes one serving. I got two out of it, without being stingy; I had as much as I wanted both times. Usually I find that TJ's estimates of portion size are laughably small.

You'd better not be watching a movie or listening to something important while you eat them, because the sound of crunching in your head will make hearing any outside noises impossible. You could eat these in the front row of a heavy-metal concert and never hear a single note. (Come to think of it, that might be the best way to experience such a concert.) It's seriously one of the crunchiest foods I've ever eaten, which is so not what I expect from anything made of mangoes. It's a slightly unsettling juxtaposition, because of how radically it deviates from the texture you've learned to associated with mango, which is all soft and juicy.

The strangeness and the goodness combine to make this a quintessentially Trader Joe's kind of snack. I approve.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment