Thursday, September 28, 2017

Trader Joe's New Zealand Grass Fed Sharp Cheddar



Excellent white cheddar, though I wouldn't describe it as "sharp." It's definitely more flavorful than most, but without that, I dunno, "edge" of slight harshness that gets called sharpness in cheese. I guess I'd call it "mellow," without being bland or boring. It's soft and non-crumbling, making it easy to slice thin or thick.

Really, if I weren't already totally enamored with a couple of others, this would become my default white cheddar. It's just a notch below them, but head and shoulders above most of the genre (including the similarly named New Zealand Organic Cheddar).


Will I buy it again? 

Yes, though less often than my trio of favorites, Extra Sharp Canadian, Mull of Kintyre, and Lite Sharp Celtic.

3 comments:

  1. This is my go to cheese at TJs when they don't have an interesting seasonal or spotlight cheese. I definitely get the grassy notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On more than one occasion i have literally been standuin front of the cheese case at TJs and looking up your reviews! Cheese hates me but i often pick up a few varieties on my way to a party (and a dairy free dip for myself)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m looking for a very salty cheese and found this and the salt in it. Is it salty??

    ReplyDelete