Monday, August 21, 2017

Trader Joe's Extra Sharp Canadian Cheddar Cheese



First, apologies for the photo above. I was halfway through the cheese when I sat down to write this review and discovered that I had forgotten to take a picture of it before I opened it.

Of the dozens of cheese varieties I've tried from Trader Joe's, I have found only two really first-rate white cheddars. There was Mull of Kintyre, but that appears to have been a limited-run item--or perhaps it will be back periodically, but either way, it's not one you can buy just any old time. Then there's the Lite Sharp Celtic Cheddar. It's superb, but its unusual sharpness and low-fat formulation make it kind of a special category of one.

I think I've finally found the definitive always-available, classic white cheddar, hiding in plain sight in this rather undistinguished label.

It's richly flavored, sharp without being harsh, smooth, and slices neatly and cleanly. It is, as far as I can tell, perfect, and much deserving a place on my Top Ten list.

For several other white cheddars, I've given an unenthusiastic "yes" or "maybe" to the question of whether I would buy them again. They were all good, but not outstanding. (See, e.g., here, here, and here.) Those answers will now all effectively change to "no," because I would always choose this Canadian variety over them.


Will I buy it again? 

Absolutely. This and the Lite Sharp Celtic will now be my cheddar mainstays when I'm not investigating something new.

1 comment:

  1. I am surprised that their famous unexpected cheddar isn't on your list here, so many people are crazy about the stuff. (I am a cheese amateur and was less than thrilled that it crumbles more than slices when i brought it for a party. Tasty crumbles but would be hard to snack on slices)

    In other news be forewarned that the new cornbread crisps are crazy good and difficult to stop eating. My bag of six servings almost lasted 36hrs.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete