Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Trader Joe's Anticavity Peppermint Toothpaste with Baking Soda & Fluoride



I am mostly indifferent when it comes to selection of toothpaste. When I'm on my last tube, I put "toothpaste" on my shopping list, and hit up Target or Wal-Mart, buying a stockpile of several different tubes of the cheapest stuff. Mostly it's either brands left over from the 1970s that are no longer popular (Ultra-Brite, Aim, etc.), or the plain-Jane versions of big name brands, like Crest, Colgate, Aquafresh. If I have to pay more than 99 cents for a big tube, I feel like I'm wasting money. Is it toothpaste? Is it minty? Does it have fluoride? Those are the only questions that matter to me, besides price. So spending $2.99 for this Trader Joe's toothpaste was a severe departure from my long-established pattern.

I won't be doing it again. It would be perfectly acceptable, if unremarkable, stuff, except that the taste of the baking soda is really strong, and fairly unpleasant. It always reminds me of the days when I would chug baking soda in water to settle an upset stomach. Not exactly pleasant sensory memories to have called to mind twice a day. Then there's the whole issue of spending $2 more for it than I would for kinds that I like better.

So when this is gone, that's it for TJ's toothpaste.

Will I buy it again? 

Not a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment