Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Trader Joe's Skipjack Tuna In Water



Trader Joe's has too many kinds of tuna. You go looking for a simple can of tuna, and you're presented with this overwhelming barrage of different types. There's albacore and skipjack and yellowfin and bluefin and redguts and purplenose and I don't even know what-all. OK, I may have made some of those up. But the point is, THERE ARE TOO MANY!

I didn't know which one to get. I don't know what kind of tuna is usually found in the national and store brands, except that it's clearly not albacore, which is always a premium-priced product. I usually get Bumblebee brand, both because it tends to be a tad cheaper than Chicken of the Sea or Star Kist, and because in my experience it's more consistent from one batch to another than either of the bigger brands.

So at TJ's I did eenie meenie, and came up with skipjack, whatever the hell that is. Made it into tuna salad and had some on a sandwich today. Didn't care for it. It was quite a bit, I dunno, sharper, I guess, than what I'm used to. More pungent. It wasn't terrible. I'll eat the rest of it tomorrow. But then I'll have to go back to TJ's and try one of the other kinds next time.

Will I buy it again? 

No.


ADDENDUM: 

A reader emailed me with pointers to two articles that help explain some of the differences in types of tuna available on store shelves:

http://www.beewellforlife.com/the-difference-between-various-types-of-canned-tuna/

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/everydaycooking/tastetests/cannedtunatastetest


No comments:

Post a Comment