Thursday, September 11, 2014

Trader Joe's Pacific Shores Stir-Fry Vegetables



Can you tell that this is another picture taken at the store? Do you remember what that means? (Answer: I tried this product before I thought of starting the blog, but don't want to buy it again.)

Making dinner for a vegetarian every week means coming up with new ways of serving vegetables. Since vegetables have never been high on my personal hit list, and I still like a rather narrow spectrum of them, I don't have an accumulated repertoire of veggie dishes I can whip up. So I tend to rely on prepared products. If they are dried or frozen for long shelf life, so much the better, because then I don't have to make a grocery run every time Nina is coming over.

That's why I had high hopes for this frozen medley of vegetables from Trader Joe's. I could keep it in the freezer, and sometime when I had not had time to go buy something fresh, I could pull it out as a nice side dish.

It didn't turn out that way. I tried following the package directions to the letter, but all of the constituent vegetables still came out limp and soggy--seriously unappealing. The flavor was OK, and I wouldn't say they were so terrible as to be inedible. But not even the hungriest little boy, having had his portion of these vegetables, would approach Mr. Bumble and say, "Please, sir, I want some more."

Will I buy it again? 

Probably not. However, I'd be willing to give it another try if somebody could tell me of a way of getting them from freezer to table that didn't make them come out with such an unfortunate texture.


Nina's View

Gotta agree on this one. Deeply meh, which was disappointing. 


It's possible that in an actual wok, on high heat with really hot oil, you might get better results. But I'm skeptical.

No comments:

Post a Comment