Sunday, September 21, 2014

Trader Joe's Cherry Preserves Made With Fresh Cherries



Did you notice that yesterday's photo of the jar of raspberry preserves was not a new jar, but one half empty? That's because it was an item I already had on hand when I decided to start writing this blog.

Recently I finished that jar, so yesterday when I was at Trader Joe's, I went to replace it. Lo and behold, things have changed. TJ's has recently started selling its own line of preserves. There were, I think, six different kinds.

If you compare today's photo with yesterday's, you might notice a few things: Both of them are that odd weight, 17.5 ounces. Both have an octagonal jar. Both have a black lid. I think what has happened is that TJ's decided to stop selling the E.D. Smith brand, and instead have E.D. Smith slap a TJ's label on their same old products.

I decided to go for cherry this time instead of raspberry, for a little variety. I had some this morning on toast. It certainly tastes delicious--no complaints whatsoever there. My only gripe is that they make it with whole cherries, which are so large that it's essentially impossible to make anything like a smooth, even layer on a piece of toast. If they ran the cherries through a slicer before making the preserves, I'd be happier.

Will I buy it again? 

Yes, though it will probably be a long time before I run through all the new line of preserves at TJ's and get back to cherry.

1 comment:

  1. If you ran the cherries through a slicer before making then it would be jam. Preserves uses the whole fruit.

    ReplyDelete