Saturday, December 5, 2015

Trader Joe's Pumpkin Ice Cream Super Premium



This is the seventh of ten consecutive days of reviews of the things Nina and I tried at our all-Trader-Joe's Thanksgiving meal. 


This is pretty good ice cream, though little about it suggests "pumpkin" to me. "Pumpkin spice," sure, but not "pumpkin." That is, the nutmeg/cinnamon/clove combination comes through much more strongly than actual pumpkin. However, as soon as I set aside my pre-formed ideas of what pumpkin ice cream would taste like, I found that I could enjoy it. It's soft, rich, creamy, and quite tasty. We had it on the side of slices of apple pie, and that turned out to be an excellent pairing of flavor profiles.

Will I buy it again? 

Probably not. It's enjoyable, but nowhere near the top of my range of preferred ice cream flavors. There's also a volume problem; Nina visits me for dinner once a week, but eating most of any ice cream I buy will still fall to me alone, and a quart seems like a lot to get through (and a lot of premium butterfat clogging my arteries). I prefer pint-sized cartons.


Nina's View

Meh. Pumpkin spice, with a vague back-of-the-tongue hint of pumpkin. It went well with the apple pie, but I can imagine no other reason to seek this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment