Sunday, January 3, 2016

Trader Joe's Coins Of The World



This is Day one of another New Products Week. 

I blame society. It's everybody else's fault for not educating me.

You see, I had never heard of Hanukkah gelt. I didn't know that chocolate coins wrapped in gold and silver foil was a thing you give children to celebrate that holiday--until I brought this little bag of them home from Trader Joe's, thinking it was some sort of Christmas thing, and my half-Jewish girlfriend set me straight. I have known the basics about Hanukkah since learning the dreidel song in grade school. But nobody filled me in on chocolate coins. You can learn more about the evolution of this tradition here.

Anyway, mark the Trader Joe's version for children only. Anybody who has a little more sophistication to his chocolate tastes will reject them. It's cheap, waxy milk chocolate. A Hershey's bar is better.


Will I buy it again? 

No.


Addendum 

I discovered, after writing the above, that this is actually not a new product. I Googled it to see if anybody else had written a review, and found this comparison test of 13 different chocolate coin products--from 2005. I was deceived by the fact that my local TJ's had it on the new-items shelf. It is seasonal, but not new. So New Products Week is already a lie. Apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment