Sunday, January 24, 2016

Trader Joe's Vietnamese Inspired White Chicken Wrap With Ginger Lime Dipping Sauce



I just finished having this for my lunch. Well, "finished" isn't exactly accurate, since about 1/3 of it ended up in the garbage. Which is kind of a spoiler alert for my opinion of this product.

They include a small packet of dipping sauce, which was actually quite nice in flavor, but hard to use. I took the name "dipping sauce" literally, and poured it into a small bowl. This proved to be a mistake, because as soon as you have taken a few bites of the wrap, if you try to dip the open end into the dipping sauce, all of the ingredients tumble out into the sauce bowl. If you decide to buy one of these to try for yourself, I recommend that you just snip a corner off of the sauce packet and dribble it into the wrap a little at a time. Just pretend that there's a typographical error in the name of the product, and that this was meant to be called "ginger lime dripping sauce."

The chicken felt and tasted as if it had been injected with water to plump it up. When I was done, I checked the ingredients list on the label, and found that the "chicken" component of the wrap consisted of "chicken breast with rib meat, water, potato starch, sea salt." Which kind of confirms my impression. I reject this approach to chicken.

But the worst aspect of this wrap was how terribly bland it was. I kept thinking, "Vietnamese? The fine people of Vietnam wouldn't recognize anything this flavorless as food." But then I took one bite that was so hot that it had me dropping the wrap and grabbing for my glass of ice water. Whoever made this thing dumped all of the spices (jalapeno, cilantro, mint, garlic, and black pepper) into one tiny area, making no effort to distribute them throughout. It immediately reminded me of this epic rant written by a guy who got a burrito made all wrong.

That was the end of my tolerance, and the point at which I disposed of the remainder.


Will I buy it again? 

Not on your life.

2 comments:

  1. Avoid the vegetarian wraps too. The falafel one is like eating dust it is soooo dry and blah. Most have deceiving nutritional info, so one package is actually two servings fyi.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my favorite wrap of theirs. The only complaint was the sauce, not bc of flavor, but bc of the consistency. It just pours right thru and when trying to dip, everything falls out. If they could have thickened the sauce, it would have been much better. Unfortunately for me, it has since been discontinued, as of July 2018.
    The Cubano wrap is pretty good though. And the Pesto Chicken wrap.

    ReplyDelete