Friday, January 22, 2016

Trader Joe's Shredded Carrots



I like adding carrots to the bagged salads that I frequently buy. The bagged salads with carrots don't have nearly enough, so I tend to skip them, buy a small bag of carrots, and peel and slice them into the salad.

Then one day I noticed these bags of shredded carrots in the TJ's produce section. Maybe they were a new item to my store. Maybe they had been there all along and my eye had missed them on a hundred previous shopping trips. I don't know. But I do know that they seemed to be a great potential time-saver. A bag of carrots costs $0.99. These cost $1.59. Is it worth an extra 60 cents to me not to have to peel and slice carrots? Absolutely.

However, the first bag I bought contained carrots that were not good. They were, in fact, quite bitter. I'm willing to assume that that was an anomaly and I will try them again.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes.


Update 

I have had an additional four or five bags since writing the above. They're fine--no more of the bitterness I encountered the first time. Are they as good as a just-cut carrot? No. But I get a little extra color and nutritional value in my salads, even if only marginal additional taste, so I'll keep using them.

2 comments:

  1. How long do they hold their quality?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The salads I make, mixing two bags of TJ's greens, last me 5-7 days before they're either gone or too wilted to be appetizing. One bag of shredded carrots is enough to supplement two such weekly salads, half at a time. I haven't tried keeping them longer than that, though.

    ReplyDelete