Saturday, June 25, 2016

Trader Joe's Chipotle Black Bean Dip



This is a brand-new product, not yet announced on the Trader Joe's web site. $1.69.


With my first bite of this, I thought, "Hey, that's pretty good."

With my second bite, I thought, "No--that's really good."

With my third bite, I thought, "Can I make something a Top Ten item after just three bites? Probably not."

With my fourth bite, I thought, "But with four I certainly can!"

This fabulous stuff has zoomed to the top of my favorite spread/dip kind of things, right up there with the best hummus and salsa.

Nina saw my reaction and asked me to articulate what about this dip make me like it so much. She's right to ask this, of course: she wants to know so that she gets a better read on what foods please me, and I need to be able to say something semi-meaningful when I write about my experience. (That was, after all, one of the motivations for starting this blog in the first place.)

So: I like its smooth but stiff texture. I.e., it's not chunky or runny. I like each of its major constituent parts--black beans, chipotle chiles, mild heat, sweetness, a little bit of vinegary acid bite--and I can easily find them all separately if I let my brain go into sensory-detection mode.

But the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, as they say. It's much harder to explain the gestalt than the components, but they all just work perfectly together to make me happy.


Will I buy it again? 

I hope Trader Joe's has made a ton of this stuff, cuz I'm gonna be buying it all.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, I just saw this and bought it on a whim this morning--around 8:30 am! Gonna go try it now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right its tasty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if this has replaced the old spicy black bean dip which was a favorite. I didn't see the spicy at my last trip but saw this. It is good, but not as good as the original, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh I am hoping the same thing!!! The spicy one is soooo much better and I eat so much of it. This one is ok but pales in comparison. I wouldn't buy it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I find it just okay. In fact, there's an open jar in my fridge that's been there for at least 6 months. Time to toss.

      Delete
  5. Buy it Friday. Then bought another Saturday to bring to my parents. It was spicy without being too spicy so I can enjoy the chipotle flavor. It is on my top ten list too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I LOVE the old spicy black bean dip. I really hope this is not replacing it!!! I like the straight forward flavor of the original, the new chiptole bean dip is good, but a little much for my palate on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately I got this information from Trader Joe's.

    Hi Lenora,

    Thank you for contacting us! Our Trader Joe's Spicy Black Bean Dip has been discontinued due to slow sales in all of our stores. I will forward your comments and request to bring this product back to our Buying Department and that will be taken into future consideration.

    Thank you,

    Nicki K.
    Customer Relations
    Trader Joe's

    : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you forward my request to bring it back as well?? Or at the very least, can I buy wholesale any of the leftover spicy bean dips in bulk from you guys? Please and thank you!
      Alexandria Cates

      Delete
  8. This Chipotle Bean Dip is crap. It's not anywhere near as good as the Spicy Black Bean Dip that was discontinued. It tastes like nothing but smoke. It's probably enjoyed by the same people who think Chipotle (no relation) is actually a Mexican restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found a TJ's flyer online that said they'd been selling the Spicy Black Bean Dip since 1989, and for good reason... it's the best! I tried the Chipotle Black Bean Dip and was disappointed and won't be buying it again. FORTUNATELY, I found a copycat recipe for the Spicy Black Bean Dip, made it, and WOW... it tastes great. If you're missing the Spicy Black Bean Dip I recommend trying this recipe. http://www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com/2012/09/05/spicy-black-bean-dip/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried this recipe this weekend and it was great! Making it again this week! Thanks!

      Delete
  10. I don't care for the new Chipotle Dip at all, please bring back the "classic" Spicy Black Bean Dip. It was my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This article was written just to convince you this product tastes good. It is a commercial tactic. The one it replaced is SUPERIOR! BRING BACK Trader Joe's FAT FREE SPICY BLACK BEAN DIP! The BEST product!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trader Joes - please bring back the original bean dip, or at least tell us where else we can order it from! The new one is much worse, and I won't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, just found this thread of responses re: black bean dip. I too LOVE LOVE LOVE the old spicy version. Just finished my last jar, I stocked up. Here is a link to contact TJ's and send your opinion/request to bring it back. http://www.traderjoes.com/contact-us

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you supposed to eat it hot or cold?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please bring back the original Spicy Black Bean Dip. My favorite TJ product. I used to buy a dozen at a time. I've tried the Chipotle - yuck! All I taste is "smoke."
    Fingers crossed it will soon be back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Once again, TJ's creates a solid, awesome product, then destroys it! Remember the curry chick peas? Spicy Flax seeds chips, and some other chips, naan bread with garlic sauce, I've not seen in years. I used to go to, TJ's at least, two or three times a week or more. Now, after dumping all the good things, and the shitty customer service, I am lucky to go, once a month!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to have to stock up on spicy black bean dip when we visited cities several hours away. Now we are finally getting a Trader Joe's near us and I am heartbroken that they have discontinued my very favorite product! I've tried the Chipotle version and was so disappointed and the jar just sat in my fridge. I used to love the curry chick peas, too. Dang it!

    ReplyDelete