Thursday, June 2, 2016

Trader Joe's Island Salsa



This is Day Five of New Products Week. 


Trader Joe's description of the product is here. It's $2.99 per jar.

I passed this by the first two or three times I saw it in the store, for two good reasons. First, with mango as a main ingredient, I was pretty sure Nina wouldn't like it. Second, I haven't liked any of TJ's non-tomato-based salsas so far--and that specifically includes their Tropical Mango-Pineapple Salsa and their Pineapple Salsa. I saw little chance that I would like this version any better.

I was right. It's just too fruity, too nontraditional for my admittedly narrow taste in salsas.

I did try mixing it with my favorite, the Fire-Roasted Tomato Salsa, to see if that would make it more palatable. It did, but only by dilution, not by the two products enhancing each other in any way. So I eventually gave up and threw away the last third or so of the jar, so that I could enjoy the Fire-Roasted by itself.


Will I buy it again? 

No.

2 comments:

  1. I was surprised I really liked this one! Probably because it isn't too spicy hot, and i scooped it up with veggies like cucumber slices and jicama with a little salt. Also liked it on plain greek yogurt for a quick snack
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. This salsa is too slimy due to the mango. I will eat the rest, but will not purchase again.

    ReplyDelete