Friday, October 14, 2016

Trader Joe's Apple Pie Cheddar Cheese


This is Day Six of New Products Week. 


One of the first of Isaac Asimov's stories in the "I, Robot" collection is about a robot on Mercury (if I recall correctly) which ends up torn between obeying the second law of robotics and the third law. As a result, it ends up venturing toward a danger zone as it has been ordered to do, but then backing away again for self-protection, in an endlessly repeating cycle.

The mental image I formed when first reading that story something like 40 years ago came back into my mind as I felt torn while standing in front of this product at the store. I reached for it, then pulled my hand back. Reached again, stopped again.

I love apple pie, and I love cheddar cheese, so I was intrigued to try this mashup. Hence the reaching. But the second-guessing happened because when I tried to imagine what cheese with apple pie ingredients in it would actually taste like, well, it seemed kind of repulsive. Hence the pulling back.

I finally did buy it, obviously.

Which of my impulses was correct? The one about it being repulsive.

I ate several slices of it on each of three different kinds of crackers, and I didn't think any of them worked right. The problem, I think, lies somewhere in the cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg portion of the program. It just doesn't sit right with the cheddar cheese.

I ate about 1/4 of the block, trying to learn to appreciate it, and just couldn't. The rest is going back for a refund.


Will I buy it again? 

No.

1 comment:

  1. I had a nibble at the tasting station and yeah there's something weird/bad there.
    Cheddar and apples i get, but with those spices....nope.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete