Monday, October 31, 2016

Trader Joe's California Style Sprouted Wheat Bread



I didn't take a picture of this until I was halfway through the loaf, sat down to write this post, and discovered that I hadn't photographed it when I brought it home. Oh well. With this blog, you get the quality you pay for!

I mostly liked this bread. I liked the flavor and density. Toasted, it held up well to slathers of butter without becoming soggy. It tasted good with jam and with sandwich fixings. It's hearty without being heavy.

But it had one fatal flaw: crunchy stuff. I'm not really sure what the culprit is, but there's some sort of hard grain left in large enough chunks that it makes me feel like maybe one of my teeth has broken apart into small pieces and gotten mixed in with what I'm eating. Perhaps it's wheat berries, or bits of corn kernel, or millet, or god knows what else. But I found it distinctly unpleasant, even a little unnerving.


Will I buy it again? 

No. If you want to try a sprouted-wheat bread, I recommend this excellent one from Trader Joe's instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment