Monday, August 28, 2017

Trader Joe's Wisconsin Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese



I was almost out of my new favorite white cheddar, the perfect Extra Sharp Canadian, so I was planning to buy another block of it. But when I looked at the variety of cheeses available at Trader Joe's, I had another thought: I could take advantage of having a little of it left to do a direct comparison with one or two other of TJ's selection of white cheddars. So I picked, more or less at random, this one and the one I'll review tomorrow.

This Wisconsin variant is fine, nothing particularly wrong with it, but it's your run-of-the-mill, undistinguished white cheddar. I would not call it "extra sharp." It is clearly less flavorful than the Canadian. On the plus side, I like its texture--easy to slice with no crumbling.


Will I buy it again? 

No.


Addendum, November 2, 2018: 

I tried it again and had a change of heart. See update here.

2 comments:

  1. It's not really a direct comparison though- this one is aged 9 months vs your favorite canadian version which is aged 2 years. Therefore you should be looking for other 2yr aged cheddars....
    ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could get away calling this "sharp" cheddar but certainly not "extra sharp". Why not label it properly?

    ReplyDelete