Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Trader Joe's Cauliflower Pizza Crust



People have been going gaga over this item since it first hit the Trader Joe's shelves a couple of months ago. It sells out everywhere about as fast as they get it in. I've seen the space for it in my local store's freezer case, but it had always been empty until about two weeks ago, when I was finally able to nab one.

The cooking directions are a little peculiar: 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes on one side, then flip it over and repeat, then add toppings and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes. I did it, using TJ's excellent pizza sauce, TJ's organic mozzarella shreds, and Morning Star fake bacon pieces. The result was one of the best homemade pizzas of my life.

Surprisingly, the crust was almost completely neutral in flavor, not nearly as distinctly cauliflower as I had assumed it would be. It basically served as a physical vehicle for the toppings, rather than as a key ingredient in its own right. I'm going to try the same toppings with a more standard crust soon, and I suspect the result will be even better.


Will I buy it again? 

No, not unless some occasion arises in which I will need to make pizza for guests who are avoiding carbs and/or gluten. Those are really the only reasons one would pick this over a traditional crust, and since neither applies to me, I don't have any need for this special product. But if I did, I'd be happy to have it available.

2 comments:

  1. It's GF but not really low carb enough for those who are following a low carb diet. And it's just 40 fewer calories per serving than the regular pizza dough, so not exactly a huge caloric savings either..... your toppings sound very tasty!! I like to use their plain frozen naan for a quick generous sized individual pizza
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had their frozen cauliflower pizzas...they sell the whole pizza frozen, not just the crust, and it was pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete