Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Trader Joe's Authentic Mexican Style Handmade Vegetarian Tamales With Cheese And Green Salsa



Well. I've put off writing about these for a couple of weeks after finishing them off, because I'm not sure what to say.

I guess the first thing to note is that the cooking directions are confusing. One basic question they don't answer is whether one is supposed to remove the parchment paper that is wrapped around the corn husk. The first time, I didn't. The second time, I did. I couldn't tell much difference, except that more of the innards leaked out the second time.

I tried both the steaming and the microwave alternative directions simultaneously, as a scientific experiment. But then I stupidly got them mixed up on my plate, so I wasn't sure which was which. (Good thing I didn't try to become a scientist, eh?) Nina was with me, and she felt confident about her two, and had a definite preference for the steamed one.

The corn-flour shell comes out very soft and delicate, which I assume is what's intended. But overall they're just incredibly bland. It's been a good long time since I invoked the Trader Joe's Blandification Committee, but I must suspect that they had a hand here. There's cheese? Oh, OK, if you say so. There's green salsa? Well, sure--maybe. But really what I tasted most was corn.

Disappointing. Unsatisfying.


Will I buy it again? 

No.

2 comments:

  1. I can't tolerate much dairy but i did have a few bites of these months ago- i wanted to really love them but as is they do need help. Most tamales suffer from too much masa and not enough filling, these did too- or the one i tried certainly had a thick layer of masa which was tasty enough and nice and tender, but definitely benefited from some of the guacamole and cilantro we had around for the rest of the meal.
    I think they're a good option for vegetarians since veg tamales are hard to come by, but they need some serious garnishes
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't disagree with you more! These are extremely flavorful. It tastes like fresh corn with green chiles, and complemented with a blend of cheeses. I can taste every bite. Matter of fact my comment is, I can't get over just how flavorful these are! They are delicious.

    ReplyDelete