Friday, April 20, 2018

Trader Joe's Banana Bread Mix


On the plus side, this is easy to make: blend the mix, eggs, oil, and water, and let it bake 40 minutes. Also, it comes out with a nice, moist texture.

On the minus side--and here we get into the unforgivable territory--it barely tastes like bananas at all. It's more vanilla than banana. Maybe this is the inevitable result of using banana powder instead of mashed-up real bananas, as in traditional recipes, but I find it unacceptable. I felt like doing my best Clara Peller imitation and shouting at the box, "Where's the banana?"


Will I buy it again? 

No.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your feeling there is very little banana flavor with this mix. However, I started mixing in one over-ripe mashed banana and it helps a lot. So, I would recommend this mix as long as you add the banana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, banana bread without any actual banana sounds lackluster. I’m sure you could mix in some mashed overripe banana to help it out, but banana bread from scratch is stupid easy so that’s really the way to go.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like this.
    It is SO SO SO easy. I make muffins and they are light and pleasant.

    I DO always add a banana or 2 though.

    ReplyDelete