Monday, April 16, 2018

Trader Joe's Ricotta & Spinach Tortelloni With Red Pesto



Unlike most such boasts, the "ready in 5 minutes" here is pretty close to true. Just peel back a corner of the lid and zap it for five minutes.

However, the result is a pretty uninteresting mess of filled pasta and diced veggies. It has been terribly thrashed by the Trader Joe's Blandification Committee.

I fixed this, and simultaneously added a lot of protein to the meal, by separately cooking some thin-sliced fake sausage (this one, which is one of the best you can buy) and adding it to the dish. That made it about 10 times better than it was on its own.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes. I think it's one that Nina would like, so I'll get it at least once more for a dinner with her--appropriately improved by the sausage, of course.

3 comments:

  1. I’ll pass on trying this one (dairy) but i’m excited about the faux sausage recommendation! I haven’t tried that brand before and it’s sold at a market that is easy to get to! Perfect timing since i’m always on the lookout for tasty options that can go on a grill (if it ever gets warm enough here-ugh)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite of their fake-meat products is the chorizo called "El Zapatista."

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I look for that one too!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete