Thursday, October 18, 2018

Trader Joe's Autumnal Harvest Alfredo Sauce



Frankly, I thought this product sounded like a terrible idea. Ruin perfectly good Alfredo sauce with pumpkin and squash? Preposterous. On the other hand, I had previously thought the same thing about salsa and marinara, and was dead wrong both times; they ended up with Top Ten rankings.

I was wrong again. I loved this. The pumpkin/squash actually blends with and complements the cheesy sauce very nicely.

Nina was less excited. She thought it was too thick and "gloppy." She's not entirely wrong about that; it would be nicer if it flowed and spread more readily.

But it was such a nice break from marinaras, and such a surprise win, that I'm willing to overlook that flaw.

So maybe I shouldn't pre-judge so much next time?


Will I buy it again? 

Yes, at least once more this season while it's still around.


1 comment:

  1. Squash is used a lot for non-dairy alfredo, usually blended with soaked cashews to make it creamy.
    The “gloppy” is an easy fix! Just whisk in a splash of hot water or broth or milk, whatever is around and whisk it into the sauce til it’s the consistency you want. Sounds like a good find!
    Ttrockwood
    PS
    I tried the new pepita salsa and loved it! Not too crazy hot, and the pepitas don’t make it gritty. I had some with cucumber slices and added some to an otherwise boring lentil soup.

    ReplyDelete