Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Chimay Autumn Limited Edition Washed Rind Cheese


So there I was, at the Asheville Trader Joe's cheese display, two days before Thanksgiving, trying to find a couple of new kinds of cheese to try with Nina. One of them was the Beemster Royaal Grand Cru discussed yesterday. The other one was this. I had a vague recollection of trying a Chimay cheese before, so I found an out-of-the-way spot to stand and check this blog on my phone to see if I had reviewed it before.

I pulled up this review, and noticed that it was the "Spring" variety, and now the store was offering the "Autumn" version. They're different! Great! That was all the excuse I needed to buy it. But I was feeling pressured by the crush of shoppers, so I didn't scroll down to read what I had written about it.

So I was surprised when I took my first bite of it and almost gagged at the awfulness. (Nina had wisely chosen the other one for our T-day appetizer; this one was left for me to try alone a few days later.) I grabbed my Kindle tablet and looked up my review of the other Chimay. I read it, then remembered: I hated it. Just like I hate this one.

I'm not sure which one is worse, because of course I'm not trying them simultaneously (and never will), but my reaction to this one is ever more intensely negative than what I wrote before. After one chunk on a cracker, I was done--and it even ruined my appetite for any further snacking that evening. (Maybe I've discovered a revolutionary new weight-loss scheme.) The rest will go back to the store for a refund.

Well, at least I'm consistent in my hatred.



Will I buy it again? 

Good lord, I hope not. I can be a slow learner sometimes, but I'm optimistic that in the future I will remember not to make the same purchasing mistake a third time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh nooo!!! That’s really funny in a way- mostly because it didn’t happen to me ;))
    Glad you didn’t bring it to a big gathering as an appetizer!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete