Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Trader Joe's Tortilla Chips Seasoned With Brussels Sprouts, Garlic, Onion & Parsley


I saw somebody tweeting about this new product (see Trader Joe's introduction to it here), and emailed an alert to Nina. I knew that I would never buy it, but thought that she might want to give it a try. She did. And then I sampled some of the chips at her house, served with Pepita Salsa. (I failed to take a picture, which is why the one you see here is stolen from TJ's.)

By the time I realized what chips I was eating, my taste buds were pretty saturated with the hot salsa, so it was harder to get a bead on the chips by themselves. But given that limitation, I really couldn't tell that they were anything other than mildly seasoned ordinary tortilla chips. Specifically, I was unable to discern any flavor identifiable as Brussels sprouts, garlic, onion, or parsley. Nina agreed with that finding.

She was generally far more enthusiastic about them than I was, primarily because of an enjoyable texture--crunchy and able to stand up to salsa.


Will I buy it again? 

No. I see no reason to choose these over traditional tortilla chips. But I'll say this for them: It's the first use of Brussels sprouts that I've actually enjoyed, rather than just tolerated.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I actually tasted the garlic and parsley immediately and the cabbageiness of the sprouts on the end. Loved these. Already on my 3rd bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were totally false advertising! There’s like half of one dried powdered brussel sprout in there- they’re just seasoned tortilla chips. Really tasty, but then again i like tortilla chips. Won’t win out over my favorite restaurant style tortilla chips for repurchase.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete