Monday, November 5, 2018

Trader Joe's Organic Taza Blues


This is a brand-new item at Trader Joe's. In fact, I haven't been to the store since they appeared. But Nina has, and bought this bag. We tried them with TJ's Queso Cheese Dip before dinner at her house last night.

"Taza," I learned, is Spanish for cup or mug. As you can see from the picture of the package, these chips are shaped like a 5-pointed cup. (Let us pass over, without further comment, the fact that "taza" can also mean "toilet bowl.")

The ingredient list is admirably short: corn, sunflower oil, salt, and a touch of lime (the last of which is undetectable to me). The flavor is nice, but not discernibly different from any other blue-corn tortilla chips I've had.

The shape is efficient at scooping up the queso. However: (1) their volume is much larger than one needs; if you filled it up, the ratio of dip to chip would be way too high. And (2) I found the shape rather difficult to fit in my mouth, but I also couldn't really bite them in half, because they would break apart.


Will I buy it again? 

No. I find no meaningful differences among blue, white, or yellow corn tortilla chips. But I do find functional differences in the shape of the chips, and these just don't work for me, for the way I like to eat my dips (queso, hummus, salsa, or bean dip). My standard purchase among tortilla chips is TJ's yellow corn rounds, and these don't give me reason to change that choice.

1 comment:

  1. Scoop shaped chips are really awkward to try and eat! It’s too big for one bite and a big mess if bitten in half when there’s a dip or salsa on it. I am not a fan
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete