Monday, November 12, 2018

Trader Joe's Calcium Magnesium & Zinc


My father had fairly severe osteoporosis starting around age 70. I want to avoid the same fate if I can, so years ago I started taking daily calcium supplements. More recently, I also began reading about the benefits of magnesium supplementation (for issues unrelated to bone strength), and decided to add that to my regimen.

Then I noticed this product at Trader Joe's, blending the two (with some zinc thrown in, which I don't care about). Seems like a good idea!

And it would be--except for how they have formulated it: The pills are enormous.

Here's a comparison photo. From the left you see a baby aspirin, another brand of magnesium, an antihistamine tablet, a generic multivitamin, a fiber supplement, the TJ's calcium/magnesium/zinc, and finally an omega-3 supplement that I'm experimenting with--the only one that's bigger than the TJ's calcium.


They're not impossible to swallow, but they're uncomfortable. I'd much rather take four that are half the size than the recommended two as they are. The large tablets can be broken in half; they're scored for that purpose and they break quite cleanly, but the result leaves somewhat sharp edges that I found mildly unpleasant to swallow, and some mineral dust on the counter that has to be brushed away.


Will I buy it again? 

No. After this bottle is used up, I'll either go back to separate calcium and magnesium, or find another brand that combines them into smaller physical form. I would also prefer a calcium citrate formulation. (TJ's uses calcium carbonate, which I think is inferior for a variety of reasons that I won't bore you with.)

1 comment:

  1. Calcium citrate is preferable as a suplement- however i have found about all calcium supplements are large size pills
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete